Friday 8 January 2016

You Have A Cold? Time For GDV Dog To Come In When You're By Yourself.

Yesterday, when I left the house, I felt normal. By the time I got to work, I had one of those, "Oh, the air is a bit dry" sore throats. Then I proceeded to get sicker by the hour. Since I hadn't been sick in the morning, I wasn't prepared. At home I have a cornucopia of cold and flu remedies, but at work all I had was tea. Lots and lots of tea.

It figures this would happen on my late day, when the clinic closes at 8pm. Things went pretty well, considering. Most of my exams were new pets adopted from the shelter, getting their free exam. I speyed a shelter cat. Dental on a dog that didn't need any extractions. For the evening appointments, one showed up super early, one was just a booster with no exam, and we knocked it out of the park.

Yay, maybe I can get home somewhat early and then take some NyQuil and pass out!

Ten minutes to seven, phone call. Young dog that has been severely vomiting all day. May have eaten sewing fabric or needles. Hmm, doesn't really sound like something that I want to wait overnight.

I knew it was going to be a long haul as soon as they arrived, because this dog was a big labby thing that was going crazy. All over the place, jumping, panting, anxious, wouldn't sit still. There were only three of us in the whole clinic, and one of the technicians is recovering from broken ribs so can't handle any animals. So it was two tiny young women against big anxious dog. When we finally managed to get an xray... Oh shit, that looks like GDV.

I decided to call the emergency clinic to see what they recommended. I had the brilliant plan to email them the xrays. Turns out none of us knew how to actually log in to the email account.

Long story short, it wasn't actually GDV, gave it some meds, and the dog got better overnight. They canceled their recheck appointment today, along with the other... three or so appointments I had. So after the handful of morning appointments, everyone kind of shuffled me out the door to go home and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment