Saturday 16 January 2016

I Have A Curse

Maybe it's "beginner's luck," but my cases all turn into wacky, that-never-happens, no-one-has-seen-anything-like-it sagas. I'm not complaining, but it's uncanny. I've had to research things that the other vets have hardly seen a handful of times in thirty years of practice. I've had straightforward cases develop bizarre crazyland complications. Last year, my boss told me I'd seen more weird stuff in two months than he'd seen in two years.

Here's a selection of the weird and wonderfuls I've seen...
  • Great Dane with Lyme disease who came back a week later with a severe immune-mediated vasculitis (his leg was a water balloon).
  • The same week, a cat came in for a recent "swollen foot." Sounds like a cat bite abscess, right? Nope. Huge elbow mass full of joint fluid. Maybe a synovial sarcoma?
  • Also that week, a young cat brought in because he was having trouble breathing. Turns out he had acute anuric renal failure, for absolutely no reason we could figure out, and didn't respond to treatment. Died that day, nothing to do with the breathing.
  • My first month in practice I encountered a dog with megaoesophagus, which is a rare condition.
  • My first month, I also prescribed routine ear drops for an ear infection--a situation that happens on an almost daily basis. But this dog went death in both ears immediately after starting the drops. The owners were so mad at me I could barely talk to them. Has never happened before in this practice with any ear medication for any of the other vets.
  • My boss saw a cat for a cat bite abscess and I ended up with the recheck the next week on his day off. He assured me it would be routine. Turned out to be in massive acute liver failure and spent the day on oxygen support because it could barely breathe.
  • My first blocked bladder cat was a female with five struvite stones at least the size of your thumbnail. My boss has never seen as many large stones in a cat in his whole career.
  • I saw a cat with nice owners a few times for small issues, then he came in a month later, on death's door, with a stomach full of blood. He was an indoor, only cat with no medications and no access to anything unsavory that we knew of.
  • I had an ongoing saga with a cat that wouldn't really eat for weeks to months for no discernable reason. The owner is a little batty, and wouldn't let us do the full nine yards with regard to treatment, but still cicled around with this cat for ages. Weekly rechecks, repeat blood work and imaging, no response to any medication--and we must have tried the whole pharmacy.
I'm sure many more are on the horizon. They especially like coming in when I'm by myself, like Saturdays or in the evening on my late day. There have been a lot of panic texts to my boss these past six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment