Saturday 25 January 2014

Vet School is a Constant Challenge

Before we were allowed to start in the small animal hospital, we had to take a quick online quiz about how the hospital operates and what we're expected to do. We have "purple books" which describe important info for all the rosters, and this was basically a quiz to check that we'd read it.

Would you pass vet school?


When an animal has been given a pre-med, any water in the cage should be:

Select one:
a. Removed.
b. drunk
c. poured over the animal
d. left so that the animal can slump into it and drown

After examining or handling an animal on a table I should

Select one:
a. clean up any obvious mess from the table top with chlorhexidine
b. lick the table clean
c. brush off any visible debris
d. leave the table for someone else to clean. What are the nurses paid for?
e. cover the table with 70% ethanol then light a match
f. clean and disinfect the table, even if there is no obvious mess.

When removing an animal from a cage you should
Select one:
a. Assume it is friendly, otherwise why would it be allowed in the clinic anyway?
b. Scruff it and drag it out?
c. Enlist classmates to help wrestle it into submission - bites and scratches are a badge of honour!
d. Assess it's behavior and response to your approach, and ask a staff member for assistance if the animal is potentially aggressive.

Do you need to fill out a SOAP form for every patient admitted to the hospital overnight?
Select one:
a. Yes
b. What’s a SOAP form?

Cell phones are not to be used in the clinic
Select one:
a. except when I need to phone my flat mates
b. unless there is nothing to do
c. except for texting
d. except when my boyfriend calls
e. except when my girlfriend calls
f. except when my boyfriend calls to tell me he has heard I have a girlfriend
g. Never!


The following items are dispensable, paid for by my fees, and I am therefore entitled to help myself and take from the clinic:

Select one:
a. thermometers
b. reflex hammers
c. surgical instruments
d. text books
e. ophthalmoscopes and otoscopes
f. lubricant
g. an education, and enough fond memories to last me a lifetime

Cornerstone history and physical examination notes should be

Select one:
a. written on a pieces of paper towel and left lying around the hospital.
b. Entered at the time of consultation, or immediately afterwards. 
c. entered some time in the day before I go home.
d. left blank, the clinician in charge of the case will do that if I forget.
e. left for later - there is a much more interesting case being admitted now.

When I walk a dog outside, I must

Select one:
a. hope that no one else sees the dog defaecating so I can blame it on another student
b. keep the dog on a lead and always take a plastic bag with me so as to capture and remove any faeces that the dog passes.
c. keep the dog on a lead but make sure that the dog defaecates behind a tree so that noone sees it.
d. let it wander around off its lead to do its business when and as it sees fit
e. allow it to eat the faeces strewn around, since that is normal for dogs

Then, of course, there are a handful of these thrown in there, and you need 100% correct, so I had to take the test twice.


What possible organisms implicated in infectious tracheobronchitis (Kennel Cough) can we vaccinate against?
Select one:
a. Bordetella bronchispetica and Strep. zooepidemicus.
b. Parainfluenza, CAV-2 and Bordetella Bronchiseptica.
c. Mycoplasma and CAV-2
d. Canine Herpes and parainfluenza.

No comments:

Post a Comment