Tuesday 28 January 2014

I Know You Think It's Not, But The Problem Is Fleas.

In small animal medicine, especially in summer, a ridiculous proportion of your patients are dogs with skin allergies. There's a big spiel about how to figure out the problem step by step, doing food trials and what have you, but a shocking number of them stop after the first step.

For almost every skin patient I've seen recently, the issue was fleas.

Do you use flea medicine? Yes.

What do you use? Some obscure product made out of a chemical no one's heard of.

How do you apply it? On their backs. Right where they can lick it off. Also I take them for a swim in the river right afterwards.

How often do you use it? Oh, now and again. Maybe every other month.

Do you have other pets in the household? Yes. The cats have fleas. But I'm sure the dog doesn't.

I know you don't believe me, but let's try this flea treatment plan and see if the dog improves...

It does.

No comments:

Post a Comment