Thursday 20 September 2012

Tongue-is Contortus

Parasitology involves a lot of harrowing memorisation, especially since we have to not only recall parasite names, we get points off if we spell them incorrectly. I apologise for the horrible almost-pun of the post title, it amuses me (inspired by our friend, Haemonchus contortus). Anyway, here are some particularly bizarre names...

Funny sounding:
Bunostomum phlebotomum
Dictyocaulus arnfieldi
Nematodirus helvetianus
Protostrongylus rufescens

How do you pronounce this?:
Aelurostrongylus abstrusus
Dipetalonema reconditum
Ollulanus tricuspis
Ornithostrongylus quadriradiatus
Trichostrongylus axei
Uncinaria stenocephala

Winner of all:
Macracanthorhynchus hirudinaceus

There are many others that I find entertaining, but I realised I was turning this into quite a long list, and no one is likely to be that interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment