Friday 4 December 2015

To All The Unsung Blog Posts - Part 2

More not-quite-stories from final year!

- Imaging roster was known as "radi-holiday" and "radiation vacation." It was supposed to be a total laid-back easy peasy week. Totally not the case. The surgeon most notorious out of all surgeons for making students cry and break had recently decided to forget about surgery and do a radiology residency. Also, there was nothing more boring in all of final year than standing around for three hours in a dark room with 5 other students, no sitting room, watching the two residents painstakingly repeat and record every step of an abdominal ultrasound that should have taken twenty minutes.

- During equine rotation, some of our days were very slow, and one of the vets had a horse competing in a race, so the residents actually took us on an outing to a day at the races. We went out in one of the university's minivans, bought fried food, watched them show the horses, cheered for ours, talked about polo, and huddled together from the cold, miserable, windy weather.

- I planned to use for a blog post title: "And Today's Wardrobe Options Are Scrubs or Scrubs."

- I can't remember specifically what the issue was, but I believe it was regarding the horrible hours and work conditions in the small animal hospital. I have a paragraph from a started-and-abandoned blog post that goes: "I of course being the confrontational go-getter that I am, made sure something got done about it by writing a mildly worded email to our class rep... after her prompting me to do so."

-  My very last day of surgery rotation ever, a Friday, saw a dog come in at 3:30pm that had been hit by a car. I did the initial exam, and then stayed with the dog as he was stabilised and transferred to anaesthesia. Surgery started at 7pm. I got home and had dinner at 10:30pm.

- One of my last rosters was the SPCA. Most people had this earlier in the year, which would have been much more valuable, because you cover some surgery basics and get to try a few speys and neuters. During my week, they were doing a "desexathon." Free or low-cost (can't remember) desexing for pet cats in the area, to help control stray populations. Which is very worthwhile, because at least half of them were pregnant, and with 30-50 speys in a day, that's a lot of unwanted kittens. The sucky part is that because these were owned pets, the shelter wouldn't let us do anything. So I spent the entire week standing in a corner watching them do speys. Bear in mind this is a month before I qualified as a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment