Monday 21 July 2014

My Disappearing Patient

This morning, my patient disappeared from under my nose. We're supposed to show up before 8am to make sure our patients are checked, walked, given meds, etc before morning rounds. I was in the middle of taking this puppy's vital signs, when my classmate needed a hand to get a temperature on a wiggly dog. I put my patient back in her cage, we take the temperature, and when I turn around... she's gone.

A nurse had passed through, so we suspected she'd taken the puppy outside. My classmate took his dog out, and when he returned, I asked if he saw my patient out there. No. He hadn't.

It turns out anaesthesia had come and taken her. In the middle of treatments. One of the nurses flew in, snatched her away, and by the time I found her on the other side of the hospital, she'd been pre-medded and was half asleep. So much for her morning walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment